background

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Review: Soul Thief by Jana Oliver

**If you haven't read The Demon Trapper's Daughter -- Turn back while you still can but GO READ IT!**

Did you read it? Okay then. Now we can talk...


Soul Thief
Book 2 of the Demon Trappers Series
Jana Oliver
St. Martin's Griffin
August 30, 2011
US Kindle Edition

Riley Blackthorne is beginning to learn that there are worse things than death by demon. And love is just one of them… 


Seventeen-year-old Riley has about had it up to here. After the devastating battle at the Tabernacle, trappers are dead and injured, her boyfriend Simon is gravely injured, and now her beloved late father’s been illegally poached from his grave by a very powerful necromancer. As if that’s not enough, there's Ori, one sizzling hot freelance demon hunter who’s made himself Riley’s unofficial body guard, and Beck, a super over-protective “friend” who acts more like a grouchy granddad. With all the hassles, Riley’s almost ready to leave Atlanta altogether.

But as Atlanta’s demon count increases, the Vatican finally sends its own Demon Hunters to take care of the city’s “little” problem, and pandemonium breaks loose. Only Riley knows that she might be the center of Hell’s attention: an extremely powerful Grade 5 demon is stalking her, and her luck can't last forever… -Goodreads.com

After reading this book I'm not sure I can write a non-spoiler review. I shall attempt to do so...blindfolded. Just kidding, but seriously... 

I waited six months to read this sequel and let me tell you: it was WORTH the WAIT!  
 
In The Demon Trapper's Daughter (DTD), we met apprentice Demon Trapper Riley Blackthorne and the long cast of characters on both the good side and the bad side. Riley had it pretty rough in the first book: she loses her dad in more ways than one, almost lost her Demon Trapper boyfriend, the demons know her name...Let's just say if it could go wrong with the flick of Murphy's Law wand, it went WRONG. Riley just could not catch a break!

At the end of book one there is no doubt that Riley's soul is highly sought after from the good guys and the bad. Everything snow balled into an epic throw-down-knock-out battle at the end and now Riley has some pieces of her life to reassemble and a HUGE promise to keep.

This is where we find Riley at the beginning of the second book. The girl literally has the weight of the world on her shoulders. What I still love about Riley (besides that fact that she kicks ass) but also find frustrating is her need to try and solve all of her problems herself. She is learning to reach out and accept help...from everyone but Denver Beck. That is something that I hope will eventually change.

As far as second books in a series goes, I was not disappointed in the content. This time around we get the story from both Riley AND Beck (which lemme tell ya = fan girl SQUEEE!!!!). We get more of Mr. Denver Beck and I LOVED IT. He is so complex but simple at the same time. But maybe I just think that because it is not often that you get the male POV in YA books but I disgress...

Was I happy with the choices the characters made? No. They went in every direction but the one I was hoping for. Oh sure, I wanted to strangle Riley & Beck. A LOT. But was everything necessary for story progression and character development? Hell to the Yes.

Fair warning: You may not like where the story goes in this second book. I had my doubts. ~~~HOWEVER!~~~ I am placing my FULL faith in Jana Oliver's storytelling ability to take this story where it needs to go.

I started taking notes while I read Soul Thief and I wish I could share them with you, but alas they would be SPOILER-ISH TO THE MAX. Looking back at my notes I'm glad I was questioning things about characters, motivations and events from the very beginning. Twists and turns await you my friends.

If you thought the story was complicated in DTD, is just got even MORE complicated.  At this point it could be anyone's guess what we will find in book three. I, for one, will be squirming until that release date!

No comments:

Post a Comment